The World that Created Me No Longer Exists

 I don't know who took the shot of Taku Glacier but I am seriously thankful that they did. It's the perfect lead in to a truly cheesy movie from 1950 about flying saucers.

I'm not suggesting you watch it all, just the first fifteen or twenty minutes. If you do you'll find yourself on a classic wooden hulled trawler yacht motoring up the Inside Passage on a journey to Taku Glacier.

I spent many years in that part of the world. First as a Lighthouse Keeper, then a deckhand on a mission boat and finally as a Village Lepled. I miss it terribly. But at least I lived in and with it while it still existed,

The mountains are still there, but pretty much everything else has gone away.

Today I found out that the last advancing mountain glacier has started retreating. Taku Glacier has succumbed to global warming    


Do you know what killed the world that create me? Pure unadulterated macho greed! Everybody wanted more. More than they had a right to! 

More fish, more grease, more electricity, more towns and cities. Mother Earth couldn't cope. 

The air grew dark, the fish died, those who flew, swam, or walked on all fours died off.

Finally, Taku Glacier has lost the fight. 

The world that made me will never return. More's the pity.

Brian  

Comments

Popular Posts