Why Is Our Goto Answer Violence?

Because we are hardwired to become Death!

Because we are hardwired to become Death!     I'm going to depart from my usually inclusive world view and revert back to what I know best, Christianity. Caveat, this is all based on my understandings of the Bible. Feel free to disagree.   Let's start with Isaiah:   “For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6) If this is truly a prophecy about Jesus then it's hard to get around the belief that Jesus and Peace are tightly connected. Now for Matthew:  28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Both Testaments proclaim that Jesus and Peace go together like peanut butter and banana. Yet, there has never been a time when Christianity was for the majority, a faith of Peace. Indeed, by the third century the church proudly cried out that it needed an army to combat infidels and demons.   The only reason I can think of for Christianity not being the Way of Peace is that humans are by nature violent and Christianity is lousy at changing human nature.  For those who disagree I offer a challenge. Find me a time when Peace rather than War was the norm for Christianity. Please put your replies in the comments section.  Now back in the day some genius came to the belief that if we set us a set of laws and or beliefs, we could overcome our violent nature. That may be true on an individual case, but I have yet to see it on a national level.   Sadly, all I can see is our technology outpacing our morality/ethics. Consider the following 'what if'.  How different would Europe and the world be today if Russia and Ukraine had found a way to be good neighbors? It shouldn't be hard: they share a common history, religion, food, likes and dislikes. But the war drags on and Europe has been putting in place a way to fund the bloodshed for years to come. It drags on because it's just not in our nature to want to live in true Peace. Admittedly Buddhism has had success with individuals and even with some isolated and small countries. But wherever Christianity dominates, so dominates death and destruction.  Brian
We have become death

 I'm going to depart from my usually inclusive world view and revert back to what I know best, Christianity. Caveat, this is all based on my understandings of the Bible. Feel free to disagree. 

Let's start with Isaiah:

“For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
And the government will rest on His shoulders;
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6)
If this is truly a prophecy about Jesus then it's hard to get around the belief that Jesus and Peace are tightly connected.

Now for Matthew:

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

 Both Testaments proclaim that Jesus and Peace go together like peanut butter and banana. Yet, there has never been a time when Christianity was for the majority, a faith of Peace. Indeed, by the third century the church proudly cried out that it needed an army to combat infidels and demons. 

The only reason I can think of for Christianity not being the Way of Peace is that humans are by nature violent and Christianity is lousy at changing human nature.

For those who disagree I offer a challenge. Find me a time when Peace rather than War was the norm for Christianity. Please put your replies in the comments section.

Now back in the day some genius came to the belief that if we set us a set of laws and or beliefs, we could overcome our violent nature. That may be true on an individual case, but I have yet to see it on a national level. 

Sadly, all I can see is our technology outpacing our morality/ethics. Consider the following 'what if'.

How different would Europe and the world be today if Russia and Ukraine had found a way to be good neighbors? It shouldn't be hard: they share a common history, religion, food, likes and dislikes. But the war drags on and Europe has been putting in place a way to fund the bloodshed for years to come.

It drags on because it's just not in our nature to want to live in true Peace. Admittedly Buddhism has had success with individuals and even with some isolated and small countries. But wherever Christianity dominates, so dominates death and destruction.

Brian

Comments

From Chaos To Refuge To Chaos

🔥 Current Featured Series 🔥

From Chaos To Refuge To Chaos