(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

"Walt Whitman - 1819-1892Song of Myself, 51

The past and present wilt—I have fill'd them, emptied them.
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.
Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
If you will take a close look at the following image you will see that it too contains a multitude. There are three fully mature blooms. Many that are almost open. A few that have just started to turn red and stretch out. In the middle of the image is a large apparently solid green and red mass. Trust me it isn't solid. In time it will grow, split and mature into fully open long red tubes. This plant is certainly a multitude.
 
I dare say so are all of us. 
 
Which raises the obvious question: who are you today?
 
This flower is a multitude. So are we.

 

 Brian

Comments

Popular Posts