Overdose

 If you are a preacher of grace, then preach a true and not a fictitious grace; if grace is true, you must bear a true and not a fictitious sin. God does not save people who are only fictitious sinners. Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly, for he is victorious over sin, death, and the world. As long as we are in this world we have to sin. This life is not the dwelling place of righteousness but, as Peter says, we look for a new heaven and a new earth in which righteousness dwells (2 Peter 3:13). It is enough that by the riches of God’s glory we have come to know the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29). No sin will separate us from the Lamb, even though we commit fornication and murder a thousand times a day (cited in Hendrix, Martin Luther, 121-122).

Martin Luther


 

Today is my sixty-ninth birthday. My bold sin: overdosing on shepherds pie and strong coffee. Methinks there needs be a reformation in my life. Decades ago 'comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable' was my occupation. Now I'm old, diabetic, arthritic, with M.S., hypertension and I'm on a first name basis with a cane, a wheelchair, an electric scooter and a stroller. So how do I get back into the game?


M'Lady pointed out that whatever choice is made it must be doable over the world wide web and be of some interest to me and to others.

As my time in this life winds down trying to understand living righteously occupies more and more of my thinking. Not only the how but also the why.

Many others have asked these questions. They all found answers that came from their historical setting.

 - Buddha developed his teachings from within the traditions of India.

- Jesus from within Judaism as it was practiced as the religion of an oppressed people.

- Muhammad was an Arabian and he drew inspiration from the desert.

The list could go on for many pages but I'm sure you get the idea.

So Much For The Background ~ What is a Righteous life?

Time for full disclosure. I was a lay preacher in both The United Church Of Canada and The United Church Of Christ In The Philippines. Now I am a poorly educated Buddhist.

 Most of my scriptural references will be from the sacred scriptures of Judaism, Christianity and Buddhism. 

If you cannot help then try not to hurt. 

Do justice, give mercy, walk humbly. 

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

In short, living compassionately is living righteously. 

Teaser

In the next blog "Why Is It So Darn Hard To Draw Within The Lines?

Sixty-nine and counting

Brian


 


 


Comments

Popular Posts