Worlds Within Worlds (Macro Abstract)

 

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”

 Rumi

 

A candle and a waiter filled blue glass jar. Result: Worlds Within Worlds
Worlds Within Worlds

Considering that Rumi is a long dead Persian it is rather amazing that he still makes sense. Then again that is one of the defining characteristics of wisdom, it ages well. 

In my case I have more or less quit trying to change the world. Instead I have concentrated on changing myself. Not that I'm claiming wisdom or enlightenment nope not even saint hood. I do however stake my claim to being a Follower of the Way.

Mostly I do this following by listening to M'Lady's critiques. If they make sense, and they often do, I try to make the changes she recommends.

Take Baby Back Pork Ribs. Before I would have slathered on the BBQ sauce and grilled away. They would have been tough, crunchy and spicy. The years pass. The stomach weakens. Diabetes rears its ugly head. Teeth not what they used to be. Now I have come to enjoy slow cooked Baby Back Pork Ribs. A little seasoning. A long time cooking. Soft. Moist. Tasty. Healthy! Same deal with bananas. She used to bring home BBQ bananas. Rolled in sugar and BBQ over charcoal. Seriously delicious. Now it's boiled bananas or maybe we use them as a replacement for potatoes in soups and stews. Still delicious.

Likewise with my exercise and prayer times. She's helping me to figure out the best and I dare say sometimes the only way to keep going as the years pass.

She has also almost convinced me to let the world take care of itself.

Hey, I'm not even upset that here in the Philippines they still haven't started vaccinations for the masa (everyday people).

Brian

Comments

Popular Posts