Day By Day 03/22/2021 ~ A Mild Rant

I am in the image but you'll have to look for me.
Hidden

 This was going to be a major rant but then I calmed down and decided that just a nice mellow middle of the road rant would do. Today's banner image was shot with a mid range Sony Alpha a68 connected to a Tamron 90mm macro lens. It's a foolish person that blows his own horn but I dare say it's a good image. Would it be a better image with more expensive gear? Not when viewed on the web and as I don't print my images the web is the only place it will be seen. My point is that I don't need more than I've got. 

Which nicely brings me to my gentle rant. I am sick and tired of 'experts' telling me that a 650cc motorcycle is a beginners bike. Or asking if a 650 is a real mans bike. Here's a little history for all you experts. 

Back in the day, 1958 if my memory serves Harley brought out the 900cc Sportster. Many consider this the first super bike. They developed the Sportster to take on the English 650's. 

The Sportster ran a poor second in anything other than a straight line. It had the power but not the handling. The same reality rules today. The Old English Iron may not have the horses but they sure handle a treat.

Let there be no doubt a good 650 is no beginners bike. Matter of fact Royal Enfield just set a new land speed record in the 650 class, 130+mph. 

My personal favorite 650 is the Suzuku LS 650 Savage. It looks superb, has a ton of torque, handles well and will run all day at highway speeds. As you can see from the image it is a honking big single. I have owned a Honda 90, Triumph 650's and a Triumph 500, a BSA 650, a fully chopped Kawasaki 900 rebuilt to 1000 with a racing kit, a 750 Honda and a 450 Honda. I've ridden many more that family and friends owned.

Except for the 90cc Honda none of them were starter bikes. All of them could be used for long highway trips. The Kawi clocked in at 240 KPH. The English Iron was a challenge to keep on the road. The Hondas were so nice they were almost boring. 

The Savage was beautiful, never broke down, always attracted admiring glances and could easily and comfortably cover 500 miles in a day.

Just as a final bit of learn your history for all the self appointed experts... Marlon Brando was the leader of the pack in the Wild One. He rode a 650 Triumph. So if you still believe a 650 is for the kiddies go and have a ride on one. You'll change your mind.

Brian


Comments

Popular Posts