This That And The Other Thing June 25 2021

 There are days and then there are days!

The Life And Times Of Brian Waddington

This

I spent 5 years on reserve. Another four years as a lighthouse keeper on the north coast of B.C. Canada. Close to three years as a deckhand on the Crosby serving villages on the north coast. I developed an appreciation of how deeply the Residential school system changed native cultures. 

As the young were removed from the villages the Elders, chiefs, uncles and aunts had no one to pass the traditions on to. The young were taught English or French. Which meant that they thought like a colonizer rather than like their parents. At about sixteen the young were kicked out of school and returned to what had been their homes. They thought white and looked native. This was devastating.

 I wish rather than believe (you figure out what fictional character used that line) that the new horror of mass  unmarked children's graves will create a movement that will end the racism in Canada. It's time for Canada and the native communities to do justice, show mercy and walk humbly. No, it's past time.

That

Did someone steal my pillow or did I eat it? I'm too tired to care.
I'm too damn tired to care
Some days I just end up not caring where I end up. Those are not good days. As Churchill used to say; Black dog days are bad days. I would have put in quote marks but at best it is a paraphrase. Though paraphrase or direct quote changes not the truth that some days are just really ugly. They were ugly before the onslaught of Dementia. Now they are ugly down to the bone.

The Other Thing

Sitting outside in the cool of the evening with Rusty when the local dogs began to bark. Soon the local fools joined in. Rusty sat up and paid attention. Soon a deep rolling soft growl came from his throat. He's turning into a fine Guardian of the Realm.

Brian

 

Comments

Popular Posts