My Memory ~ A Slow Motion Train Wreck

If your memory becomes a slow motion train wreck you're in trouble

The Life And Times Of Brian Waddington



If your memory becomes a slow motion train wreck you're in trouble      The Life And Times Of Brian Waddington
If this reminds you of your memory you could be in as much trouble as I am

Over the years I have become proficient in a lot of areas. How to chug a beer. Passing on the white line. Doing stupid things in airplanes and surviving. Getting a 4.0 GPA in college and university. And the list goes on. However I've never got up close and personal with the human memory from an academic point of view. So what follows is undoubtedly going to be less than Masters Degree accurate. But as far as my mind and memory goes... it's accurate.  

There are many theories as to just how the memory works.  All that I have examined have left me with the impression that if nothing else there is order within the process. That's not how my memory works.

Inside my mind there is an ever growing slow motion train wreck that is destroying my memories one memory at a time. Or at least making them darn hard to find and increasingly difficult to keep in the proper sequence. Case in point: This morning I got out the laundry so Min could dump it in the machine. One of the water line couplings went bust. This wasn't the first time. Out with the Teflon and get everything reconnected. Only this time it didn't reconnect. 

First thought was that it was time to buy a new 'Y' coupling. (one hose into two) After Min and I got everything apart that little nag in the back of my head popped forward and I remembered that we didn't need a new 'Y' coupling. All we needed was a new hose to hose coupling. A coupling that we just happened to have in the bottom of the tool box. Ten minutes later it was all back together and the laundry was on. 

Another case in point. At the end of June we had some banking problems. (I AM remembering not to go into details) We got everything sorted and decided that what we needed was a regular bank transfer to eliminate any memory problems. A couple of days ago it was near the time when before I would have done a manual transfer. I was nearly certain that we had set up an automatic transfer but I couldn't say with the needed absolute certainty that we had. Thankfully this was just a few clicks of the mouse to sort out. Even more thankful I was when I remembered that the needed info to access my accounts wasn't only in my fading memory. 

As I said a slow motion train wreck. As the following cars pile into the leading cars connections are lost, couplings are torn asunder, on off switches get fried and fires break out. Sometimes the emergency systems work and sometimes they don't.

As frustrating as this can be it has one plus. It's never dull!

Brian



Comments

Nice to know I'm not alone.

Popular Posts