Why Do We Choose So Poorly

 

All in the world know the beauty of the beautiful, and in doing this they have (the idea of) what ugliness is; they all know the skill of the skilful, and in doing this they have (the idea of) what the want of skill is.

Tao te ching

All in the world know the beauty of the beautiful, and in doing this they have (the idea of) what ugliness is; they all know the skill of the skilful, and in doing this they have (the idea of) what the want of skill is.

At about 5:00 this morning I woke up, so did Rusty our doberman, I wasn't getting back to sleep. I started to think about things best not thought about because they always confuse me. Things like good and evil and how you can know the difference.

According to Taoism you need to know the beauty of beauty and the skill of the skillful to know their opposites.

As I thought about that at 5:00 in the morning I thought about Adam and Eve. What was it like for them before they ate of the fruit of the tree of good and evil? I don't have that answer. To the best of my knowledge nobody else does.

I do know that in our world almost no one seems to know the differences. I say this because of the shape our world is in.

So many times we have chosen to build a web of ugliness rather than beauty.

Brian

Comments

Popular Posts