An Open Letter To The Indigenous Tribes Of British Columbia Canada.

Back in 1989 I was presented with a Button Blanket. I had only thrown one small feast so there weren't many buttons on it. I still have my blanket and every now and again when the mood strikes and the memories demand I put it on. 

For nearly five years I was trained by the Haisla to be their Lepled. Named in the Feast Hall and trained by Matriarchs, Elders, Chiefs and villagers of very rank. 

To make a long story short the Haisla and I parted ways when they decided to back the LNG pipeline.

Allow me to be upfront about my understanding of native culture in Canada. I know next to nothing about the people who inhabit Turtle Island. But I was immersed in the culture of the Haisla and other west coast tribes. So, this Open Letter is directed to the peoples I once called my brothers and sisters.

Rod Bolton was The Haisla Chief during my stay in the Village. He and his wife Clara shared food, love and wisdom with me. Heber was the gravedigger, he too shared food, love and wisdom with me. Fact is most of the village helped to train me.

One lesson stands out above the others: it's never wise to count on strangers to help you out. And if the stranger lusts after the same thing you do it is doubly unwise.

Which brings me to the point of this letter, it's time to assimilate or it's time to declare your independence. 

If you're tired of being a second class citizen in Canada then step up or step out. 

Most of the land in B.C. is unceded so here's what we can do. We split the province 50/50. You set up your infrastructure and we'll keep ours. The native enclaves within major cities are yours as long as you can prove that they were yours from time immemorial. 

But realize that all treaty and guilt payments end. You make it or break it on your own.  No more blaming the white man / colonizer. 

Personally, I don't think that's such a good idea but the choice is yours. Step up or step out!

 We can live together as brothers and sisters. Or we can let our greed and stupidity force us apart. 

I prefer together but the choice is yours.

Gups-U-Bees

We can live together as brothers and sisters. Or we can let our greed and stupidity force us apart.


  

   

Comments

Popular Posts