The West Lost A Lot During The Age Of Enlightenment

 For those that missed the memo: 

"Enlightenment, a European intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries in which ideas concerning God, reason, nature, and humanity were synthesized into a worldview that gained wide assent in the West and that instigated revolutionary developments in artphilosophy, and politics. Central to Enlightenment thought were the use and celebration of reason, the power by which humans understand the universe and improve their own condition. The goals of rational humanity were considered to be knowledge, freedom, and happiness. (Britannica)

 With the Enlightenment's emphasis on reason, rationality and intellectualism we lost the 'mysterium tremendum et fascinans'. Loosely translated; the power that both attracts and repels. And I find that a great sadness. 

I prefer a universe that has room for both super computers and Angels. A universe where it is acknowledged that there are things (for lack of a better term) that are beyond our ability to understand, name and control. 

I prefer a universe that has room for both super computers and Angels. An universe where it is acknowledged that there are things (for lack of a better term) that are beyond our ability to understand, name and control.
You can only control what you name

For me, and I realize that I am in the minority, there is nothing more fulfilling than to live in a Universe that I don't control and has the ability to constantly amaze me.

The Green Man  

Comments

Popular Posts