My Slow Slide Into Alzheimer/Dementia ~ M'Lady Suggests I Record tjhe Journey

 The ocean slowly erodes the island wehile Alzheimer/Dementia slowly erodes me.

Senior Moments

It has been a few years since M'Lady and I first noticed that my mind was going downhill. I admit that I have tried writing about it before but there was still too much fear. 

Now the fear has left to be replaced by awareness and acceptance. And that means that I accept that it took me three or four tries to remember the word I wanted to use was 'acceptance.'.  Now may be the time to journalize my journey?

Two days ago, I was going to ask M'Lady a question; I couldn't remember her name.  This was strange. After @30 years of marriage her name should not! slip my mind. 

Yesterday I found myself in front of my computer trying to figure out how various colored blocks fit together. It was crucial that I got it right. Then I realized that there were no colored blocks. 

This morning someone came to our gate and called 'hullo'. I went down and they said, 'good morning, Sir Brian'. My reply was 'Maybe, who are you and what do you want'? M'Lady reminded me that they were the internet people collecting the monthly payment. We all had a laugh over my senior moment, they got paid and off they went.  

If I merely record my lapses, it might be entertaining, possibly even amusing but that's where it would stop. I hope to create more than a mere record.

I hope that I can shine a light on the frustrations, bafflements, annoyances and sorrows that accompany this journey. Not for myself, as cathartic as that might be, but for others who have the same problem and those who love them. 

The Green Man      

Comments

Popular Posts