The Sands Of Time

 




There I was minding my own business when my friend called. You could call him the penultimate quiet man so I was more than a little surprised to hear from him. 

He needed a favor. 

Would I document his possible fall into dementia? 

Not having many friends and always willing to help the few I had, I told him I’d be honored. We agreed that he would try to get in contact every day. I agreed to keep his name and overtly identifying marks out of the documentary.  

Chapter 1 

There were times when he just couldn't control the emotions. When they came, he would turn the lights off and the volume of the movie or music up so his lady wouldn't hear the sobs. She'd just get upset and that didn't do anyone any good. 

He knew he was in the winter of his life. Spring, summer and fall had been pretty good but winter was becoming something else. 

For the last forty years my friend had been able to handle his Multiple Sclerosis. Between the Tai Chi, deep prayer and a supportive wife he'd done okay. But in his late sixties' things began to pile on. Diabetes, degenerative arthritis, hypertension, prostate problems. With the help of his lady, his doctor and some serious meds they were all brought under control. So far so good.  

Then they both started noticing little things. Forgotten conversations. Missing memories. Names not remembered. The type of things often called 'seniors' moments'. But they didn't stay at 'seniors' moments'. Things got worse. 

With the pandemic seeing a doctor was out of the question. Some web searching and a video of his mother in her old age brought forward the real possibility of dementia or possibly Alzheimer's. Losing his mind and his body was proving hard to get a handle on. Tears were often the only expression that fit. 

Being both an introvert and an introspective sort of person he began to explore the possible outcome of this new journey. The question that surfaced time and again was; what am I without my memories? 

To be continued... 



Comments

Unknown said…
You could get a haircut and then I might recognize you! LOL! My eyes have been changing too - I now see better without my eyeglasses than with them. I made it to 75 - going for 100! Good luck along your way - John
For the first time in maybe ten years I trimmed my beard. Does that count?

Popular Posts